Enjoy action packed holidays in Cornwall at Hengar Manor
Cornwall comes alive in the summer months, with an events diary that is bursting at the seams. You’ll certainly never be short of things to do in Cornwall with a stay at Hengar Manor!
For action packed holidays, Hengar Manor is the perfect place from which to catch all the county’s major events. We are only a short distance from all of those must-see events, including county shows, cultural celebrations and even music festivals.
From our North Cornwall holiday park you take in as much or as little of Cornwall’s big events as you like, which run from March right through to the end of October. There’s so many things to do in Cornwall in 2018 – and to help you decide which you should go and see, we’ve put together a list of our top 25 events in Cornwall this year…
- The Cornwall Spring Flower Show is a celebration of Cornish garden mania, with colourful displays of camellias, daffodils and rhodedendrons at the Boconnoc Estate near Lostwithiel. There’s also show gardens, trade stands and competitive classes to browse.
- The Great Eden Egg Hunt This Easter ‘Eggstavaganza’ is held in the grounds of the world famous Eden Project. Scramble through an obstacle course and hunt out those Easter eggs! (Dates to be confirmed).
- Padstow May Day is arguably the biggest day in this harbour town’s calendar. If you plan to holiday in Cornwall during May then take the short journey to Padstow and sample the carnival atmosphere on May 1st. Around 30,000 people are expected in town as Padstonians from across the globe come home for this special day.
- The Fowey Festival of Arts and Literature boasts an exciting programme of talks, interviews, practical workshops, theatre, music, art and concerts at various locations around the town. There’ll be plenty of well-known faces from the world of TV, art, music and literature too. The event runs from 12th – 19th May 2018.
- Charles Causley Festival celebrates the life and work of Launceston’s most prized writer. It promotes the best of literature and art from across the region with a varied programme of events. The event is still to be confirmed but provisional dates of the 1st-3rd June, 2018 are in the calendar.
- The Royal Cornwall Show is the county’s showcase event and is one of the largest agricultural shows in the UK. But it’s not just about farming, this show encapsulates everything about Cornish life, from competitive classes covering flowers, feather and fur, to trade stands, food tents and even show jumping, Watch out for the royal visitor to. This event takes place between the 7th & 9th June 2018.
- The Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival does exactly what it says on the tin. If you like your shanties to be of a maritime theme and want to be entertained by groups from across the UK, then head down to Falmouth. This event takes place on the 22nd – 24th June 2018.
- St Merryn Steam and Vintage Rally is a local event featuring a range of rural exhibits, including vintage tractors, steam engines and classic cars. Well worth a visit and only a short distance from our Cornwall holiday park.
- The Newquay Surf 7s is a feast for rugby lovers. This is the biggest rugby 7s event in the South West and sees teams from across the globe compete in Newquay.
- Get ready to rock to some music legends at the Tunes in the Dunes Festival at Perranporth. Cornwall’s largest beach festival, Tunes in the Dunes is extremely popular and booking early is advised. Headline acts will be announced later in the year for the event, which takes place from the 8th – 10th June 2018.
- Padstow Vintage Rally and Country Fair is a great family day out, with live entertainment on both the Friday and Saturday night. There’s also a beer tent and a variety of vintage and steam engines to see.
- Bodmin Riding and Heritage Day is a celebration of Bodmin’s historical past dating back to the 14th Century. Look out for the scary looking beast as it parades through the town in chains! Bodmin’s only a short distance from our holiday park too.
- Liskeard Show is one of the biggest one-day agricultural shows in the south west – like a mini Royal Cornwall Show. There’s always a wide range entries in the competitive animal classes and there’s also trade stands and other exhibits you can browse around.
- The Rock Oyster Festival has grown enormously over the years and is well worth a visit. If you like your holidays in Cornwall to have a laid-back feel, with great music and food at the heart, then a visit to the Rock Oyster Festival is for you. Based at Roskear Farm, near Wadebridge, it is a celebration of Cornish oysters and top live music!
- Royal Naval Station Culdrose Air Day gives you the chance to go behind the scenes of the Fleet Air Arm – the Royal Navy’s flying force. Experience the sights and sounds of a working Naval air base at Culdrose, near Helston.
- Port Eliot Lit Fest combines a literary festival with a garden party. It always attracts some celebrity names and lovers or art, literature and food.
- Lovers of vintage vehicles should look no further than the Boconnoc Steam Fair. This steam extravaganza is held annually in the grounds of the Boconnoc Estate and showcases vintage vehicles and steam engines.
- Boardmasters Music Festival, held near Newquay, is one of the biggest music festivals in the UK, attracting thousands of people each year. Headline acts for 2018 include the Chemical Brothers and Craig David.
- Camel River Festival celebrates the River Camel that runs through Wadebridge. Look out for the stand-up paddleboarding and the hilarious Sharp’s Raft Race in the early evening.
- Fowey Regatta is widely regarded as one of the best local regattas in the country. There’s a week packed full of events for the whole family including a carnival and fireworks display.
- Camelford Show is a traditional agricultural show which includes dog shows, vintage vehicle collections, displays, competitive animal classes and much more.
- Cornwall Folk Festival sees the nearby town of Wadebridge come alive to the sound of folk music. There’s always a great line-up folk artists who perform at a variety of locations throughout Wadebridge who come from all over the world.
- Eden’s Festival of Food sees an array of celebrity chefs give demonstrations on a specific day during this amazing festival of food!
- Newquay Fish Festival is a must for lovers of great seafood. The event showcases Newquay harbour and Newquay as a shellfishing port. The festival attracts thousands of people to the town each year and sees live cooking demonstrations and an array of entertainment, including live music.
- Looe Music Festival is a music festival like few others. Set on the beach, this is a festival in a truly spectacular location. Headliners for previous years have included Bryan Ferry, The Proclaimers and Reef to name a few.
The events listed above are only a taster of some the things to do in Cornwall in 2018. See Visit Cornwall’s website for a full calendar of all the the great events taking place.